Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mithi's Sally

 

"Maaaaaa....!!!" Mithi's voice quivered as she ran down the steps, restless and tensed. "Ma, where is Sally? I left her on my bed before going to school."

Radha picked up her three-year-old, planted a long,noisy kiss on her cheek, and said, "Sally was old and tattered, wasn't she, Mithi? I'll get you a new one, a Birthday Barbie, I promise." 

Mithi's brown eyes welled up with tears. Her three-year-old mind knew she would never see her dear Sally again.

A chunk of Mithi's childhood died that day.

10 comments:

  1. What a touching story in so few words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rajrupa! glad you liked it! I wanted to make it a 55 fiction, but couldn't fit in the emotion in even fewer words :(

      Delete
  2. Oh! sometimes adults fail to see the connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so! such fragments of childhood are more precious than many other things in life!

      Delete
  3. Nice. Reminded me of the movie 'Toy Story'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. I know. Emotional value doesn't go to those who aren't as attached.

    ReplyDelete